Wednesday 27 June 2018

Moog DFAM Custom/Handmade Aluminium End Cheeks

Tasty




I added some custom end-cheeks to the DFAM.  This makes for a good weekend project.  Quick guide below.




200mm x 150mm aluminium is more than enough for both cheeks.  Order 6mm thick.  This piece cost me £10.  Nice.  I used the original cheek as a template: I used a piece of tissue to avoid damaging the original wood

I etched the DFAM shape with a nail.  Good enough as a guide for cutting.  I cut the alu with a jigsaw.  Make sure you use metal blades

When filing the edges, clamp both pieces together in order to have matching pieces

Lots of work on an edge like this.  This edge took around 1 hour of filing

Again, lots of filing work required

...and again!!

Filing out the blemishes

Cheeks almost done

Far smoother

3.5mm drill holes.  Again, I used the original as a template.  PS this part has to be the most accurate

Good trick for polishing the surface of aluminium: fold tinfoil into a ball, dip it in water, and rub across the aluminium.  It works great.  Just be sure to run in the same direction when polshing 



Note I also used silver screws to complement the look.
Order 3.5mm x 16mm.  A pack of 25 cost me £2.

Total cost for project = £12.

But the filing requires much patience!!


Best
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment